CBV Institute’s Sponsored Research Initiative was started in 2004 to foster original research in business valuation and related topics. Since its inception, the initiative has annually sponsored CBVs, academics, and students to further innovative research in the business valuation field.
Valuation practitioners, students of the CBV program, and academics are encouraged to submit proposals by the deadline of September 21, 2023. Submissions are also welcomed from academics and professionals who do not hold the CBV designation but who work in complementary areas such as accounting, finance, economics, and litigation.
Any topic related to business valuation will be considered, including (but not limited to) topics relating to business or securities valuation, intangible asset valuation, loss quantification, and practice management matters. This year the CBV Institute’s topics of interest are (1) the unique challenges of valuing start-ups and high-growth companies, including Generative AI companies; (2) takeaways for practitioners from recent public market fluctuations e.g., the boom-bust cycles in technology, cannabis, and crypto; and (3) practice management considerations related to the adoption of AI and AVMs.
CBV Institute provides compensation of $10,000 for completion of the selected research project.
To encourage and support research activities, culminating in useful and relevant research papers on emerging issues of interest to CBVs and business valuation professionals.
Submit your proposal meeting the following criteria (deadline September 21, 2023)
- Description of research topic.
- Explanation of how the research topic will further the CBV Institute’s objective above.
- A research plan outlining subtopics within the scope of the research.
- A listing of preliminary research sources and methodologies to be employed and any potential challenges to gather the required information.
- Identification of existing and potential conflicts of interest.
- Disclosure of funding from other sources for the proposed research paper.
- A panel of CBVs selected by CBV Institute (the “CBV Panel”) will review the proposals submitted based on the criteria stated above and make its selection by October 18, 2023. The successful Researcher(s) will be notified by email.
- The CBV Panel may select one or more research proposals.
Submission of Draft
- The successful Researcher(s) will issue an original draft research paper to the CBV Panel on or before April 29, 2024. The draft report shall be 100% complete, subject to review and comments by the CBV Panel.
Paper Completion and Submission
- The Researcher(s) shall respond to the CBV Panel’s review and comments, and submit a final version of the research paper by July 2, 2024, for consideration by the CBV Panel.
- An abstract (i.e., a practitioner-friendly summary of the paper summarizing key findings of the research and highlighting the application, implication, and relevance to the practicing CBV professional) will be required for publication by CBV Institute no later than July 2, 2024.
PUBLICATION AND DIStribution rights
- CBV Institute and the successful Researcher(s) will be required to enter into an agreement for rights and responsibilities in connection with the awarded proposal and completed research paper.
- CBV Institute shall be entitled, in its sole discretion, to publish and distribute the final version of the research paper(s) in any format. No additional compensation will be paid to the author of the research paper.
CBV Institute provides $10,000 compensation for a completed paper. Compensation is paid in installments, upon completion of the following milestones:
- 25% upon proposal selection and signing of the rights agreement;
- 50% upon receipt of a draft considered suitable in the absolute discretion of the CBV Panel; and
- 25% following receipt of the final version and the summary, in accordance with the process outlined above.
Should your proposed research project require additional funds to complete, such as for labor-intensive data collection or expensive data purchases, please include a request for additional compensation in your proposal.
- The research topic(s) must meet the stated objective of this RFP.
- The research paper must be original work without any restrictions on publication by CBV Institute.
- Proposals, research papers and summaries must be submitted electronically.
- The research paper must maintain an appropriate quality standard as assessed by CBV Institute.
- Each stage of the research paper and summary must be completed within the stated deadlines.
Submit the proposal to CBV Institute at:
RFP SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 21, 2023
PROPOSAL SELECTION: October 18, 2023
DRAFT PAPER SUBMISSION: April 29, 2024
FINAL PAPER SUBMISSION: July 2, 2024
NOTIFICATION OF PUBLICATION: August 2024