The Valuation Specialist is responsible for the fair value of the BDC Capital investment portfolio of equity and debt investments for the purpose of financial reporting. They will support several different sectors serviced by BDC Capital: Cleantech, Growth Equity, Venture Capital, and Intellectual Property financing.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
- Lead and complete the mark to market fair value exercise with internal clients and auditors to ensure that adequate information is provided on a timely basis and perform validation of the accuracy in accordance with the BDC valuation directive and the adequacy of documentation.
- Perform valuation analysis, identify issues and provide recommendations to their manager.
- Review, prepare and validate financial models.
- Support presentation of fair value results to valuation committees and senior management.
- Liaise with BDC Capital management as required to ensure timely, useful and consistent financial reporting and provide value-added services.
- Perform ad-hoc analyses of the portfolio and industry trends.
- Provide a value-added service to the investment teams.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a role involving equity valuation
- Consideration given to experience in accounting, structured thinking, financial analysis, and technical expertise
- These profiles are likely to come from, but are not limited to:
- CBV Roles, valuation expert role, consultation
- Finance roles: accounting firms, venture capital, private equity, investment banking
- Operator roles: technology start-up, industry-leading corporation, industry specialist with experience in quantitative pricing or valuation methods
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce (Accounting or Finance)
- Professional accounting designation (CPA)
- Other professional designations (CFA, CBV)
- Audit experience, an asset
Skills, knowledge and competencies
- Strong valuation, financial, accounting and analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of the Growth Capital and Private Equity industry
- Strong skills in Excel, particularly in building financial models that include sensitivity analysis and scenario modeling, as well as performing data analysis. Any other analytic tools and techniques are an asset
- Experience with market data tools, Capital IQ, Pitchbook
- Knowledge of the Cleantech investment industry, carbon credit markets and climate change reduction
- Good ability to problem-solve using structured thinking and communication techniques
- Proven attention to detail with a desire for accuracy
- Good ability to use other MS suite applications efficiently, mainly Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to intervene pertinently in the context of a presentation to executive audiences
- Operational knowledge of any technical industry is an asset
- Ability to grasp new concepts quickly
- Initiative & creativity
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to foster relationships with internal customers
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Bilingualism in French and English
- Supportive, helpful attitude – willingness to proactively identify gaps and jump in to fill them
- Motivation and ability to do focused, independent work, in the context of a team
- Ability to work collaboratively and build positive relationships with stakeholders
- Continuous learning attitude, with maturity to take feedback constructively
- Openness to share knowledge and advice with less experienced colleagues
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment, where objectives must be met within tight deadlines