Associate, Mid-Market Investment Banking
We’re on a mission to build the relationship-focused bank of the future and we’re looking for the passionate collaborators, innovators, advisors, and leaders who can get us there. Our distinct culture is built on a shared commitment to do what’s right for our clients, our people, and our communities, and we strive for excellence in everything we do. Because life at CIBC is not only what you do, but how you do it.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What You’ll Be Doing
As an Associate, Mid-Market Investment Banking you will support the execution of active merger, acquisition, divestiture and capital raising advisory mandates. This includes supporting the information gathering process; assisting the team in the creation of marketing materials; supporting the analysis of the financial implications of proposals; and supporting the due diligence process through to the close of a transaction. We currently have an opportunity to join our team in the Calgary office.
How You’ll Succeed
- Leading M&A Process: Assist Managing Directors, Executive Directors, Directors in all facets of the group’s mandates through the preparation of i) valuation of businesses using comparable trading analysis, precedent transaction analysis, discount cash flow analysis and other industry metrics, ii) in-depth financial models of acquisitions and recapitalizations, iii) extensive written documents including confidential information memorandums and management presentations, iv) both quantitative and qualitative data analysis including industry analysis
- Participating in Business Development: Must develop an awareness, monitor, track, analyze and report on, an ongoing basis, M&A market activities, industry developments and market trends. Play a key role in the preparation of prospect proposals, business development presentations and pitchbooks. Maintain the group’s databases on a current basis. Assist Managing Directors, Executive Directors and Directors on business development calls as required.
- Relationship Building: This role requires regular contact with internal CIBC peer groups including Commercial Banking, Private Wealth, Wood Gundy and Wholesale Banking. Be in contact with peers at other Financial Institutions, Private equity groups, industry associations, and other professionals on a regular basis to promote CIBC’s interest and maintain knowledge of their area of specialization.
Who You Are
- Values matter to you. Bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability. Comply with all applicable CIBC and Line of Business policies, standards, guidelines and controls.
- Education You’ve Completed. Proven academic track record. Undergraduate University degree in Economics, Finance, Commerce, Accounting, or relevant business field. MBA, CFA, CPA, CBV is an asset.
- Industry Experience. Relevant experience in financial services and investment banking industry. Demonstrated experience in financial modeling and analysis. Experience in creating business development proposals. Knowledge of business, economics and/or finance acquired through education and experience..
- Technical Skills (Programs, Methodologies, Systems). Superior analytical and quantitative skills (i.e. financial and data analysis). Strong technical/computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Bloomberg, Capital IQ). Excellent writing skills incorporating the ability to explain detailed financial & statistical analysis. Significant presentation/interactive skills to articulate complex information and ideas.
- Detail Oriented. Ability to deliver quality work by working independently within a demanding and dynamic team environment. Take ownership of the work and be able to self-evaluate and review one’s own work. Be sensitive to client’s requirements and focus on a service oriented approach. Ability to demonstrate a proficiency in assessments of unstructured business problems. Ability and authority to recommend changes to the business processes in order to enhance operational efficiency and effectiveness.
What CIBC Offers
At CIBC, our people are our greatest asset. You’ll become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents, and empowers teams to do what’s right for the client, and to do it well. As part of our team, you will:
- Thrive: Benefit from an open and approachable culture that provides the flexibility and support you need to integrate your life at work and at home
- Connect: Work in a place where the right technology and infrastructure fosters innovation, collaboration and creativity
- Develop: Grow your skills and career through our best-in-class onboarding experience, ongoing learning opportunities, individual development planning, and comprehensive product training
- Prosper: Share in our collective success with a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, health benefits program, and employee share purchase plan
What You Need to Know
- CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- You need to be legally eligible to work in Canada at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit
- This role is a regular full-time role however, does often require to work beyond normal business hours.
Candidates may apply at www.cibc.com/careers