About the Company:
Secretariat is a leading independent expert services and consulting practice that has offices across North America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Australia. We specialize in international arbitration and commercial litigation, forensic accounting, economic damages, and large-scale construction disputes. Secretariat’s experts maintain integrity, quality and objectivity when solving complex disputes and deliver detailed analyses in a clear and concise manner.
Secretariat’s team provides its clients and their legal teams with the technical support to effectively navigate key aspects of the dispute resolution process. Our experts are adept at providing testimony and being cross-examined in arbitrations hearings, mediations, and trials across the globe. Secretariat’s professionals have worked in industry and public accounting to bring a unique perspective to assist clients in growing their business and addressing complex issues.
Secretariat was recently ranked as one of the top 10 firms in Global Arbitration Review’s prestigious GAR 100 Expert Witness Firms’ Power Index, and 31 of Secretariat’s staff are recognized as leading experts in their field by the independent Who’s Who Legal.
We are currently seeking talented financial professionals to join our office in Toronto in the role of Associate.
Successful candidates will join an expanding domestic and international business valuation and damages quantification practice. Our Toronto-based group works on some of the largest and most complex valuation cases in the world, including Investor-State arbitration and large international commercial disputes. These cases will give the successful candidate exposure to unique, complex, interesting issues, often integrating valuation, finance, accounting economics, and legal principles.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, and we support the continuing professional development of our employees.
- Conduct economic and industry research
- Analyze financial and non-financial information, and summarize and report findings to team members and to clients
- Develop valuation parameters (i.e. discount rate, forecasts, etc.) and prepare financial models
- Assist with the preparation of damages and valuation reports
- Assist with the preparation of critique reports examining the conclusions of other experts
- Communicate with clients and counsel
- Prepare for and attend hearings, trials and mediations
- Manage the day-to-day requirements of multiple engagements
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Able to quickly assimilate relevant information in unfamiliar situations
- Able to develop creative approaches and solutions necessary to resolve complex problems
- Able to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent listening, verbal, written, technical, and presentation skills
- Language skills are advantageous given the international focus of our practice
- Willing to occasionally travel internationally (subject to safety concerns)
- Requisite professional designations and work experience:
- Fully qualified holder of the CPA and/or CFA designation (required)
- CBV holder, student, or willing to enroll in the CBV Institute program of studies
- Prior experience at one of the ‘Big Four’ accounting firms would be an asset
- 1-2 years of prior experience in economic damages and/or business valuation would be an asset
Secretariat is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, provincial, or local law.