University Pension Plan of Ontario
OUR COMPANY BACKGROUND & CULTURE
UPP is a ground-breaking jointly sponsored pension plan tailored by and for Ontario’s university sector. Today, we manage $11.8 billion in pension assets and proudly serve over 37,000 working and retired members across four universities and 12 university sector-affiliated organizations. Our commitment is to protect the security and sustainability of our members’ pensions while delivering service excellence to our members and employers. UPP is a sector-wide plan designed for growth – our doors are open to all Ontario universities.
Our people are the heart of our organization. Together, we are creating a purpose-driven and inclusive workplace focused on a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and respect — for one another and the world around us. We’re looking for passionate individuals seeking a rewarding career and opportunities to build and shape an exciting new organization with a clear mission, and who share our core values of integrity, inclusivity, ingenuity, and impact.
As part of a growing and dynamic investment team, the Analyst, Private Markets will play a key role in all areas of the development of UPP’s Private Markets asset management and portfolio monitoring responsibilities. Reporting to the Associate Director, Private Markets, the individual will be responsible in providing high-quality analytical support and expertise to the organization.
This is an exciting opportunity for a driven analyst with a keen eye for detail to join a team of high performing professionals and make a significant impact.
UPP is based in Toronto’s financial district and has a hybrid work model (~2 days / week in office).
- Assist in active asset management of existing Private Markets investments and provide support in analyzing and evaluating asset management related activities and proposals.
- Participate in meetings and facilitate continuous correspondence with existing investment managers to contribute to the development of relationships.
- Conducts monitoring of performance and risk of the Private Market investments to ensure up-to-date knowledge of the portfolio.
- Assist in preparation of performance reporting for internal and external distribution purposes including regular and ad hoc meetings, investment committee meetings, and annual reporting.
- Facilitate internal collaboration with teams that work closely with the Private Markets team including investment finance and operations, responsible investing, risk management, legal, tax, compliance, treasury, and other teams as applicable.
- Maintenance and development of data and systems related to Private Markets in collaboration with data, analytics, and operations teams
- Prepare forecasting analysis for the Private Markets portfolio.
- Assistance in developing policies, frameworks, and strategy for Private Markets, as applicable.
- Provide analysis, research, and support to all aspects of the Private Markets portfolio.
- Integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations into the asset management processes and stewardship practices.
- Contribute to UPP’s reputation as a respectful employer, partner, and participant in the financial sector.
- Collaborate with other industry participants to promote a sustainable economy and society.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- Possessing or pursuing an CPA, CBV, MBA, CFA, CAIA or any other relevant professional designation would be an asset.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of experience in investment finance or operations, international accounting firms, pension industry, or private markets
- Able to work in a multi-faceted stakeholder environment and aspire confidence in a broad range of constituencies through a proactive, respectful, and accessible communication style.
- High degree of self-motivation and professionalism.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a time sensitive manner.
- Excellent relationship building and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- A collaborative approach to understand and respond to organizational needs and partner with various organizational and control functions.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Strong commercial and strategic judgment.
- Alignment with UPP’s desire to be a leader in Responsible Investing, ESG, and climate change.
- Strong work ethic
- Passionate about sustainability
UPP is pleased to offer accommodations for applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for a job opportunity, or are contacted by UPP regarding a job opportunity, please advise of any accommodations you may require.