Ernst & Young LLP
Running a business is all about making intelligent decisions, powered by accurate information. As a Mergers & Acquisitions (“M&A”) Associate, you’ll help make that happen. You will be an important part of our diversely talented, highly experienced team and work at the forefront of high-profile transactions. When you join our industry-leading team, you’ll be right at the heart of that challenge, working with leading business tools and methodologies to provide to some of the most sophisticated clients around.
EY has an established industry leading Strategy and Transactions Practice. We help clients determine the right deal to do, and then assist them in doing the deal right. We are a growing practice that has the resources to serve any client, anywhere in the world. With so many offerings, you will have the opportunity to develop your career in a friendly, collaborative environment through a broad scope of engagements, mentoring and formal learning. We develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders, and in so doing, play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities.
Your key responsibilities
- Manage the daily activities of an acquisition, divestiture, merger or financing assignment;
- Develop and review financial models within broadly defined guidelines;
- Synthesize research information such as comparable company and precedent transactions to be used in modeling, competitive analysis, industry analysis, negotiation support and various other applications;
- Prepare quality first drafts of pitches, marketing materials, management presentations and client presentations;
- Oversee an electronic data room and manage a due diligence process for buy and sell side engagements, working closely with client and target personnel;
- Operate as a multi-project team player working on small teams of 2-3 people, often with minimal leverage;
- Support the VPs and SVPs in identifying and exploring potential new business;
- Prepare valuation reports for tax and financial reporting purposes (including purchase price allocation analysis and valuations for tax purposes);
- Perform financial due diligence including analysis, datebooks management, and report writing;
- Perform administrative activities in support of engagements, including: independence compliance documentation, engagement agreements, time budgets and billings;
- Collaborate with other service lines within Transaction Advisory Services such as Transaction Support, Valuations, and Restructuring, as well as other services lines primarily within the Private Mid-Market Practice such as Audit and Tax.
Skills and attributes for success
- Undergraduate degree plus CPA with an interest in pursuing CBV and / or CFA designations;
- Minimum 4+ years of relevant work experience;
- Investment banking, M&A, financing, corporate development, financial analysis, etc.;
- Working knowledge of the Canadian and International Finance and Accounting concepts and understanding of key business drivers, principally as they relate to M&A transactions;
- Bilingual (French and English)
- Strong Word, Excel, PowerPoint and financial modeling skills;
- Ability and experience working in a team environment;
- A passion for working with entrepreneurs and private business owners and management teams.
The successful candidate for this position will have strong written and verbal communication/presentation skills, superior analytical skills, demonstrated project and/or people management skills and have been recognized for their “roll up the sleeves” attitude and high levels of creative energy and enthusiasm.
What we look for
We are looking for candidates who are highly motivated, analytical, logical thinkers with a passion for Transactional Advisory Services and have a very strong attention to detail. Being a strong team player is critical with the ability to adapt to changing requirements or deadlines in support of our client’s goals
What working at EY offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture – built on high-performance teaming – where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It’s one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
- Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, strategy, transaction and consulting services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.