Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan
Why you’ll love working here:
- high-performance, people-focused culture
- our commitment that equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our work environment and business success, which helps employees feel valued and empowered to be their authentic selves
- learning and development initiatives, including workshops, Speaker Series events and access to LinkedIn Learning, that support employees’ career growth
- membership in HOOPP’s world class defined benefit pension plan, which can serve as an important part of your retirement security
- competitive, 100% company-paid extended health and dental benefits for permanent employees, including coverage supporting our team’s diversity and mental health (e.g., gender affirmation, fertility and drug treatment, psychological support benefits of $2,500 per year, and newly extended maternity/parental leave top of 26 weeks)
- optional post-retirement health and dental benefits subsidized at 50%
- yoga classes, meditation workshops, nutritional consultations, and wellness seminars
- access to an annual wellness reimbursement program for health and wellness-related expenses for permanent and temporary employees
- the opportunity to make a difference and help take care of those who care for us, by providing a financially secure retirement for Ontario healthcare workers
This role is a valuations focused role in the Investment Operations team within the Finance division. Reporting to the Director, Private Equity & Infrastructure, Valuations, Investment Operations, the Senior Analyst, Private Equity & Infrastructure, Valuations, Investment Operations will be an integral contributor to the valuation process for HOOPP’s private equity, credit, and infrastructure investments. The role is responsible for reviewing and evaluating the Private Equity, Private Credit, and Infrastructure valuations prepared by Investment Management and communicating any concerns to the Director. This role will also ensure that indirect investments through limited partnerships are appropriately valued in HOOPP’s financial statements. In addition, the Senior Analyst will provide investment operational support, where needed.
What you will do:
- Assist with the Private Equity, Private Credit, and Infrastructure investments valuation review process – which includes reviewing investment valuation memorandums prepared by Investment Management, preparing Finance’s independent valuation models, performing independent valuation analyses and research (including review of comparable public companies, market transactions, and industry research), and arriving at a preliminary fair value recommendation. The Senior Analyst will also be responsible for documenting the analyses performed in valuation dashboards and communicating the findings to internal stakeholders for review.
- Initiate discussions with staff members of Investment Management to gather additional information and examine differences (if any). Escalate issues and other matters to the Director for resolution.
- Assist the Director with the onboarding of new investments into the valuation process. This includes: gaining understanding of new deal structure, reviewing legal documents and Investment Management investment memorandums, and setting up new valuation models.
- Support the Director in ongoing monitoring of existing investments, including tracking investment financial metrics and financial updates, reviewing investee MD&A, and keeping current on investments life cycle.
- Review quarterly Limited Partners (LP) reports to ensure fair values provided for HOOPP’s co-investments are reasonable and supportable.
- Gather relevant valuation metrics to develop and populate a knowledge database as it relates to key information disclosed by the General Partners (GP), including valuation metrics and multiples achieved on sale of investments.
- Assist the Director in establishing valuation best practices and implementing process improvements. Develop and implement standardized valuation models and valuation reporting for the group. Participate in process improvement and automation initiatives as it pertains to the valuation of the Private Equity, Private Credit, and Infrastructure portfolios.
- Keep abreast of valuation standards (CICBV) and fair value standards (IFRS, IPEV), technical valuation approaches and methodologies of various asset classes (Common Equity, Preferred Shares and Debt Instruments) as well as knowledge in application of Black Scholes option pricing.
- Assist in ensuring the effective implementation and maintenance of financial control systems for Private Equity, Private Credit, and Infrastructure investments.
- Assist in external audit process. Prepare working papers and supporting documentation and respond to queries from the auditors relating to valuations.
- Respond to queries from Investment Management and provide materials and analysis as requested.
- Prepare financial statements for US and Canadian holding companies and ensuring transactions are properly recorded in the sub-ledger.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting requirements, as needed.
What you bring:
- 3+ years experience in business valuation, with focus on private equity and infrastructure, preferred. Experience with private credit would be an asset
- Already possesses or is working towards CPA, CBV or CFA designation
- Strong research skills and experience using Capital IQ
- Strong financial modeling skills. Experience in Black Scholes option pricing would be an asset
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness is extremely important along with the ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently
- Excellent interpersonal skills to facilitate interaction with Investment Management staff and external fund managers
- Ability to respond to queries on numerous topics effectively and promptly
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and to manage conflicting priorities
- Ability to remain agile to changes in timelines and workflow
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Proactive self-starter who is highly motivated and results-oriented
- Demonstrated ability in developing and implementing process improvements
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, Commerce, or related discipline