CAAT Pension Plan
We are looking for an Associate Portfolio Manager/Portfolio Manager (“APM/PM”) Real Asset Investments (Infrastructure, Real Estate, Natural Resources) to join a small, dynamic Real Assets investment team at a growing pension plan. Working closely with and reporting to the Director, Real Assets, the APM/PM will be a key partner for the Director in all aspects of the Real Assets portfolio, including the implementation of CAAT’s investment strategy, investment due diligence, execution and monitoring. The APM/PM will assist in managing the junior team members and be the primary point of contact for the Director.
Residing within CAAT’s Investment team, the Real Assets team is focused on building a globally diversified portfolio of infrastructure, real estate and natural resources private equity investments through fund commitments, co-investments and minority stakes. The APM/PM will have exposure to a unique set of career development and learning opportunities beyond those typically available within large investment functions and will have the opportunity to make an impact on the portfolio strategy and team culture.
What we are looking for
APM/PM title will be commensurate with the level of experience. We are looking for someone with the following:
- An undergraduate degree in Commerce, Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Engineering or other related disciplines
- A MBA, MFin, CFA, CPA, CBV, CAIA, PEng or any other relevant professional designation
Experience & Skillset
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in institutional investing, private markets/private equity investing, investment banking, investment advisory or at a Big 4 accounting firm, with a minimum of 3 years of experience in direct investing and/or co-investing
- Experience in preparing written investment recommendations is required
- Experience in private markets/private equity investing, due diligence, portfolio management and capital markets. Knowledge of the real assets investment universe or experience working on infrastructure, real estate or natural resources transactions is required.
- Excellent technical skills (financial modeling, financial analysis, valuation) with the ability to think critically
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – able to make concise and informative recommendations and presentations
- Proactive in identifying needs, recommending solutions and/or guiding junior team members in addressing the tasks
- Capable of independently managing certain responsibilities
- Resourceful and detail-oriented. Keen on suggesting improvements and contributing new ideas
- Able to work collaboratively in a small, informal team setting or independently with strong prioritization and organizational skills
- A positive attitude with strong work ethic, honesty, integrity and humility
- Support the screening, evaluation and execution of prospective investment opportunities. Take ownership of due diligence workstreams (e.g. financial, legal, tax) at a detailed level. Actively manage junior team members and third parties (e.g. advisors, lawyers)
- Apply investment judgment with the ability to understand the wider deal context while focusing on key merits and risks
- Responsible for preparing written investment memos for review by the Director, guiding and reviewing junior team members’ work in the process. Support the Director in presenting recommendations to the Investment Committee
- Represent the Real Assets team in meetings with investment managers, investment partners and external advisors
- Maintain a prioritized pipeline of investment opportunities in tandem with the pacing model for the Real Assets portfolio
- Monitor ongoing portfolio performance at the fund and asset level and ensure the Director has up-to-date knowledge of their status
- Assist in the review of Real Assets-related reporting materials for the Investment Committee and for senior management
- Remain abreast of real assets investment themes and trends. Conduct research and perform special projects as needed
- Contribute to developing a creative approach to assessing new investment opportunities and company track records
- Actively and creatively contribute to Real Assets strategy and Investment team discussions
- Contribute to the standardization, documentation, and improvement of CAAT’s private market investing practices and processes
We’re CAAT Pension Plan, and we’re growing. We innovate defined benefit (DB) pension plans. What are they? Unlike other pension plans, they specifically define the lifetime benefits our members will receive in retirement. This means that our members know exactly what they’re getting every month – for life! Because we provide that certainty, we help more Canadians retire with greater financial security and priceless peace of mind, and take pressure off the social safety net at the very same time, which frees up those resources for other Canadians who really need them.
What does CAAT offer you and what should you know about us?
- Our vision is to provide an environment where employees can bring their whole, authentic selves to work. That’s what drives our culture – one that’s truly one of a kind. In fact, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures for 2019, 2020 and 2021, as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2020 and 2021, and by Canadian HR Reporter as one of the Best Places to Work for 2021.
- We provide membership in CAAT’s defined benefit (DB) pension plan, a flexible and collegial work environment, a comprehensive health and dental benefits package, life insurance, and an array of wellness programs
- Everyone is a leader at CAAT, so we invest in our people and enthusiastically support your career development goals, regardless of your role, with access to tuition aid and learning opportunities like our ground-breaking CAAT Academy
- We are conveniently located at the Eaton Centre in downtown Toronto, next to Queen Subway station, with ready access to multiple TTC routes, GO Transit, and the PATH. We are working remotely at present due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- You can learn more at www.caatpension.ca
Please note that the role requires an average of 3 days per week working in our office in Toronto. Candidates may be required to complete a case study as part of the recruitment process.
DEFINITELY INTERESTED? Apply on LinkedIn, or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com on or before Monday, October 3, 2022 with Associate Portfolio Manager/Portfolio Manager – Real Asset Investments in the subject line.
We recruit and select the most qualified candidates and thank all applicants for their interest but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
CAAT Pension Plan is an equal opportunity employer that supports abilities and diversity of all kinds. If you require accommodation during the recruiting and selection process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Human Resources at 416-673-9000.