CAAT Pension Plan
We are looking for an Associate (Legal Experience), Real Asset Investments (Infrastructure, Real Estate, Natural Resources) with legal experience to join a small, dynamic Real Assets investment team at a growing pension plan. Reporting to the Director, Real Assets, the Associate will support the implementation of CAAT’s investment strategy and be actively involved in the legal and related due diligence responsibilities. Additionally, as a member of the Investments team, the Associate will have the opportunity to conduct due diligence, execute and monitor CAAT’s Real Asset investments subject to capacity.
Residing within CAAT’s Investment team, the Real Assets team is focused on building a globally diversified portfolio of infrastructure, real estate and natural resources private equity investments through fund commitments, co-investments and minority stakes. The Associate will have exposure to a unique set of career development and learning opportunities beyond those typically available within large investment functions and will have the opportunity to make an impact on the portfolio strategy and team culture.
We are looking for someone with the following
- An undergraduate degree in a related field would be an asset
- a Juris Doctor degree
- Possessing or pursuing an MBA, MFin, CFA, CPA, CBV, CAIA, PEng or any other relevant professional designation would be an asset
Experience & Skillset:
- Previous experience in institutional investing, private markets/private equity investing, investment banking, investment advisory or at a Big 4 accounting firm would be considered an asset
- Industry experience in corporate transactions, private equity investments and the GP/LP structure. Experience working on infrastructure, real estate or natural resources transactions is an asset
- 2-6 years of experience at a leading law firm working with institutional investors (experience with pension funds is an asset); or a minimum of 2 years of experience working in the internal legal team of a pension fund
- Experience with fund investments and/or co-investments is required (i.e. reviewing legal agreements, identifying and advising on material legal issues, quarterbacking legal closing)
- Experience with direct investments (i.e. conducting legal due diligence, negotiating and drafting term sheet and agreements) is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – able to present information in a concise and simplified manner to support decision making
- Proactive and resourceful, able to take ownership of the work and exercise good judgment with meticulous attention to details
- Ability to work collaboratively in a small, informal team setting or independently with solid prioritization and organizational skills
- Keen on suggesting improvements and contributing new ideas
- A positive attitude with strong work ethic, honesty, integrity and humility
- Perform a primary role in the legal due diligence and closing of prospective investment opportunities such as: Collaborate with external legal counsel to review material legal issues related to limited partnership agreements, subscription agreements and other investment documents; Independently review third party legal diligence reports; Liaise with external counsel and counterparties to co-ordinate legal closing
- Assist the Director in reviewing and negotiating term sheet of prospective opportunities
- Prepare materials for and participate in external due diligence sessions and/or internal meetings
- Draft and/or review related ancillary documents (e.g. non-disclosure agreements)
- Anticipate, identify and assist in managing legal risks related to investment strategies, project structures, and new or amended laws or regulations
- Support the screening, evaluation and execution of prospective investment opportunities, Take ownership of due diligence workstreams (e.g. legal, tax) and assist in managing third parties (e.g. advisors, lawyers). Review and provide guidance to junior team members where appropriate
- Assist the Director, in triaging incoming investment opportunities through initial analysis, diligence and research
- Monitor and/or review amendments to legal documents of existing investments. Support the Director in responding to and making decisions on matters requiring Limited Partner consent
- Support the Director in other ad-hoc legal matters arising from existing investments
- Monitor ongoing portfolio performance at the fund and asset level to ensure the Director has up-to-date knowledge of their status
- Assist in the preparation and review of Real Assets-related quarterly reports, as well as other ad-hoc reporting materials for the Investment Committee and for senior management
- Remain abreast of real assets investment themes and trends. Conduct research and perform special projects as needed
- Contribute to developing a creative approach to assessing new investment opportunities and company track records
- Actively contribute to Real Assets and Investment team discussions
- Contribute to the standardization, documentation, and improvement of CAAT’s private market investing practices and processes
We’re CAAT Pension Plan, and we’re growing. We innovate defined benefit (DB) pension plans. What are they? Unlike other pension plans, they specifically define the lifetime benefits our members will receive in retirement. This means that our members know exactly what they’re getting every month – for life! Because we provide that certainty, we help more Canadians retire with greater financial security and priceless peace of mind, and take pressure off the social safety net at the very same time, which frees up those resources for other Canadians who really need them.
What does CAAT offer you and what should you know about us?
• Our vision is to provide an environment where employees can bring their whole, authentic selves to work. That’s what drives our culture – one that’s truly one of a kind. In fact, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures for 2019, 2020 and 2021, as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2020 and 2021, and by Canadian HR Reporter as one of the Best Places to Work for 2021.
• We provide membership in CAAT’s defined benefit (DB) pension plan, a flexible and collegial work environment, a comprehensive health and dental benefits package, life insurance, and an array of wellness programs
• Everyone is a leader at CAAT, so we invest in our people and enthusiastically support your career development goals, regardless of your role, with access to tuition aid and learning opportunities like our ground-breaking CAAT Academy
• We are conveniently located at the Eaton Centre in downtown Toronto, next to Queen Subway station, with ready access to multiple TTC routes, GO Transit, and the PATH. We are working remotely at present due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• You can learn more at www.caatpension.ca
Please note that as part of the recruitment process, shortlisted candidates will be required to take a 4-hour case study test to evaluate written and technical skills.
DEFINITELY INTERESTED? Apply with your resume and cover letter on LinkedIn or https://www.caatpension.ca/careers by September 29, 2022 with Associate, Real Asset Investments (Legal Experience) in the subject line.
We recruit and select the most qualified candidates and thank all applicants for their interest but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
CAAT Pension Plan is an equal opportunity employer that supports abilities and diversity of all kinds. If you require accommodation during the recruiting and selection process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Human Resources at 416-673-9000.