Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
Investment Analyst, Value Creation & Analytics
Department: Infrastructure & Natural Resources
The growing Value Creation & Analytics (VCA) team within our Infrastructure & Natural Resources (INR) group is looking to build out its team of talented professionals. We are looking for a private asset valuations specialist who can help us build analytical insights across our global portfolio and provide enhanced decision-making tools and capabilities to deliver on our strategy. Still curious?
As an Analyst, you will drive efficiencies and improvements across INR’s business, particularly in asset valuations, portfolio construction and performance reporting. You will also ensure high quality information sharing between INR and internal partners and coordinate our participation in Fund-wide initiatives.
Who you’ll work with
The INR group is a highly-specialized private equity team that invests directly in global infrastructure and natural resources companies to deliver growing, inflation-linked cash flows over the long-term. Our team consists of over 45 investment professionals, with offices in Toronto, Canada and London, United Kingdom and an additional presence in Santiago, Chile. We manage a geographically diverse C$25 billion global investment portfolio with a mandate to grow.
Reporting to the Senior Principal, you will work with Investment Associates to drive INR’s portfolio management activities. You will also closely collaborate with other departments in OTPP including Strategy & Risk, Investment Finance and asset classes such as Private Capital.
What you’ll do:
- Assist with valuations of the INR portfolio which comprises privately held airports; seaports; gas distribution networks; water utilities; power generation and distribution companies and oil and gas, timberland, agriculture, aquaculture and mining assets
- Help improve the technical consistency of INR’s valuations
- Ensure a consistent, high quality and smooth valuation process by working with the Investment Finance group to plan, schedule and deliver semi-annual asset valuations
- Contribute to building Investment Finance’s knowledge of the sectors and regions in which we invest
- Drive the production of portfolio construction-focused analytics
- Work with INR Investment Associates to analyze the performance of existing and potential assets
- Understand key assumptions, limitations or impediments to portfolio-level scenario analysis using asset-level forecasted cash flow models
- Collaborate with the Strategy & Risk group to analyze risk models and gather key insights on the risk attributes of our portfolio for use in portfolio construction analyses
- Conduct investment performance analysis for INR Senior Management to help inform decisions on target portfolio weights by sector, geography, return type, etc.
Performance Reporting and Collaboration
- Collaborate with internal partners to ensure that INR’s reporting addresses their needs
- Plan, refine and improve performance reporting to help ensure timely and optimal decisions at Investment Committee meetings
- Prepare and deliver timely and high quality reports to the CIO-led Committees and the OTPP Board
- Design, build and execute processes to ensure compliance with OTPP policies and guidelines
- Prepare analysis and agendas to support quarterly meetings between the VCA and its counterparts in Private Capital to share optimal operational practices
- Work cohesively with Private Capital, Public Equities and others to plan and deliver Leadership Conferences
What you’ll need
- Minimum 1 to 5 years of experience, preferably in infrastructure or private asset valuations, principal investing, investment banking or corporate development within an operating business
- Bachelor’s degree required, with the pursuit of a CFA or CBV designation considered a plus
- Excellent communication skills and a strong ability to collaborate and influence others in order to drive collective action across departments and achieve common goals
- Excellent quantitative, analytical and organizational skills and the ability to perform complex, in-depth financial analysis
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in timely manner while remaining detail oriented
- Advanced skills in Excel and PowerPoint
What we’re offering
We operate in a pay-for-performance environment that offers a competitive salary and numerous opportunities for professional growth and development.
At Ontario Teachers’, diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we build reflect and celebrate a diversity of thought, background and experience.
Accommodations are available upon request for those with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Why wait? Submit your resume online today. www.otpp.com/careers
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected for a personal interview will be contacted. Note that a legal entitlement to work at this location is required.