Situated in the foothills of the Rockies along the beautiful Bow River, Calgary is a friendly, welcoming city. With a population that reached one million in 2006, Calgary is one of the country’s fastest-growing metropolitan centres. It’s a wonderful place where you can balance an active lifestyle with a fulfilling career at KPMG. With a history in Calgary going back over 90 years, KPMG has become one of the largest professional services firms in Calgary. Our office has over 400 professional and administrative staff—approximately 210 are Audit professionals, 90 are Tax professionals, and 60 make up our Advisory Services practice.
This position involves advising public and private businesses operating in a variety of industries on valuation issues. As a Senior Manager, your responsibilities will include:
- Managing all aspects of valuation assignments prepared in support of the purchase and/or sale of a business, tax planning, financial reporting and litigation;
- Reviewing valuations prepared by the firm’s audit clients for their reporting units and the intangible assets underlying the business for financial reporting purposes;
- Handling file acceptance and risk management procedures required by the firm;
- Working with clients to understand their business and explain our work;
- Being efficient and providing meaningful feedback to clients in a timely fashion;
- Reaching valuation conclusions that are thoughtful, well supported and pragmatic;
- Supervising junior staff on assignments and providing timely feedback;
- Ensuring that our standards of quality are met always; and
- Active involvement in proposals, business development activities and participation in firm initiatives.
We offer a dynamic work environment, competitive salary and the opportunity to grow your experience, technical knowledge and professional skills. Life balance and flexibility are also important to us while respecting client needs and project timelines.
We are seeking candidates with the following skills and experience:
- A professional accounting, business valuation and/or finance designation(s);
- A minimum of eight years work experience, including two years working in the area of business valuation or similar function;
- Experience preparing formal valuation reports and analysis;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills; and
- Proficiency working with Word and Excel.
Successful candidates will be driven and high achievers, self-motivated and work well both independently and with a team. They will have a strong aptitude for learning new things, a good work ethic and are open to feedback. They will have leadership qualities and an interest in mentoring others.
Other attributes that would be considered an asset include:
- Experience working in a regional or national accounting practice;
- Technical knowledge working with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and/or other accounting standards and fair value issues arising therein;
- Experience building and reviewing complex financial models;
- Proficiency working with PowerPoint;
- Industry experience with oil and gas, including experience with reviewing oil and gas reserve reports and selecting market-based discount rates;
- Technical knowledge in the area of valuing financial instruments, including experience with assessing the reasonability of interest rates, working with option models;
- Knowledge of transfer pricing guidelines and experience with economic assessments; and
- Litigation-related experience and acceptance as an expert by a recognized court.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please apply online at www.kpmg.ca/careers.