Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
An exciting opportunity for you to support the execution of OTPP’s valuation function for an assigned portion of a private investment portfolio that includes in excess of 150 investments across a number of asset classes, including private equity, real estate, natural resources, infrastructure, and venture capital. You will also be accountable, to an extent, for the mentorship and development of junior staff in Finance supporting in the valuation process during peak periods.
Who you’ll work with
You will be working side by side with a highly skilled team of associates, fellow analysts, and principals within the Investments, Finance and other divisions. There will be many opportunities to collaborate with colleagues from other teams. You will also experience direct and indirect communications and interactions with external appraisers and advisors as well as OTPP’s external auditors.
What you’ll do
• As part of a team, you will assist with the preparation and review of “fair value” valuations prepared by OTPP’s Investment teams by Finance, including the preparation of valuation analysis and summary memoranda in respect thereof
• Help develop recommendations of fair value to be used for the purposes of OTPP’s financial statements
• Aid in the development, tracking and reporting of plans and timelines for assigned investment portfolios to ensure an effective valuation process
• Communicate noted valuation issues to senior management within Finance
• Respond to queries or information requests from OTPP’s external auditors
• Communicate noted issues with respect to the valuation process or specific private investment valuations on a timely basis to senior management within Finance
• Build rapport and work cross-functionally with members of other OTPP groups, including Risk Analytics, Tax, Financial and Management Reporting, Private Asset Operations, Strategy and Risk, and Data Management in sharing information generated and reviewed by the valuation team
• Assist with the preparation and delivery of OTPP board reporting with respect to the results of the year-end private investment valuation process
• Coordinate and conduct a review of valuations presented by external appraisers and valuation advisors
• Ensure internal information required by external advisors is provided by both the Investment Division and Finance in accordance with established timelines
• Monitor and report on progress of external advisor deliverables
• Critiquing external advisor reports to ensure their conclusions are reflective of standard methodologies and are consistent with the definition of fair value
• Review and incorporation of external advisor recommendations and findings into OTPP’s conclusions
• Develop and mentor junior colleagues with respect to corporate valuation standards
• Take an active part in campus recruitment of co-op students employed by the group
• Review internal methodologies and processes for assigned investments with a view to continuous improvement in execution
• Actively monitor external standards (e.g. IPEV Valuation Guidelines) and practices
• Provide input with respect to the annual review and update of OTPP’s private investment valuation policies including recommending changes based on changes in standard methodology valuation guidelines and practices
• Collaborate to prepare any required OTPP board reporting with respect to any recommended policy changes
• Participate in ad-hoc projects supporting the execution of the broader Finance division strategy
What you’ll need
• Relevant university degree
• A Chartered Business Valuator (“CBV”) designation or working towards CBV is an asset.
• A Chartered Professional Accounting designation is an asset .
• A Chartered Financial Analyst (“CFA”) accreditation is an asset
• Experience (2-5 years) working with private investments, which could include valuing and/or conducting due diligence in respect of private investments.
• Previous experience in coaching, training and developing staff is an asset
• Experience interacting with senior management and other external advisors is an asset
What we’re offering
• Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentives
• Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
• Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage, including a Health Spending Account
• Guaranteed retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
• Competitive time off
• Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
At Ontario Teachers’, diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflect and celebrate diversity of thought, background and experience. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today!
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.