Finance – Financial Reporting and Valuation
Our Finance department is part of the Operations group and in various ways collaborates with all of the other departments within BCI. Finance is responsible for financial administration, financial reporting, tax planning and compliance for BCI and the investment funds under BCI’s administration and also works with our auditors and external advisors. This position is in the Financial Reporting and Valuation branch of Finance.
Reporting to the Manager, Valuations, the Analyst, Investment Valuations (Analyst) plays a key role in the valuation of illiquid investments including mortgage, private equity, renewable resources, infrastructure, and private credit investments. The position works with the Asset Classes and the Illiquid Investment Accounting team to facilitate the year end and quarterly valuation processes and ensure that all illiquid investments are reported at fair value. The Analyst is responsible for reviewing investment valuations and summarizing results in reports and presentations to management.
- Chartered Professional Accounting designation
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a related discipline
- Strong analytical, financial modelling and research skills
- Knowledge of valuation methodologies and techniques for private market investments
- Advanced Excel skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to manage projects under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a high-performance culture
- Completion of or working toward a CBV or CFA designation
- Experience with analytical tools such as Capital IQ and Bloomberg
- Knowledge of VBA and SQL considered an asset
- Review valuations prepared by investment teams and/or external valuators, verifying or challenging key valuation assumptions
- Work with senior management in Finance and the Asset Classes to resolve valuation issues (as required) and prepare memorandums to support Finance’s recommendation of fair value
- Identify key valuation drivers and prepare clear and concise summary reporting for senior management
- Consult with the Asset Class on valuation methodologies for new investment products
- Confirm the accuracy of valuations reported in the investment book of record system (IPS)
- Assist in managing the use of external valuators including selection, relationship management, and monitoring and reporting on their work
- Develop/review valuation models for select investments
- Assist with gathering valuation information for presentation and disclosure in the pooled fund financial statements
- Respond to information requests and inquiries from internal and external auditors
- Research and stay up to date on valuation best practices
- Maintain internal controls for illiquid valuation processes and develop procedure documents
Effective performers have strong analytical skills; they are able to use their knowledge of investment/securities accounting principles and technical skills to provide well thought out analysis and accurate information based on a thorough process of collecting, organizing and analyzing data.
- Applies knowledge of investment/securities accounting principles, taxation rules, financial markets and economics to their analysis of investment holdings
- Identifies the specific information needed; probes to obtain the facts; obtains complete and accurate data by checking multiple sources
- Analyzes financial information to identify inconsistencies and trends in valuation results
- Analyses pertinent information in order to provide reasonable and timely valuation information for various asset classes
- Provides insight and clarification to clients and colleagues on valuation and financial results
- Uses a number of software applications to gather, manipulate and report out on financial information
Organizing & Planning
Effective performers have strong organizing and planning skills that allow them to be highly productive and efficient. They manage their time wisely and effectively prioritize multiple competing tasks.
- Effectively prioritizes multiple requests from a variety of sources, ensuring priority is given to appropriate tasks
- Adjusts to changing priorities appropriately by displaying flexibility and willingness to reorganize tasks
- Understands the importance of timelines and uses time management tools (task lists, calendar / planner, etc.) effectively to ensure that timelines are met
- Understands the department goals and their role in achieving them; consistently strives to meet those goals
- Applies their understanding of the organization’s business and structure in the development of effective and efficient analysis and reporting practices
Effective performers are proactive in sharing information and are easily accessible, approachable and open. They respond to communications promptly and effectively and escalate needed information to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
- Actively listens to instructions or requests for information; asks necessary questions to understand the intent of the request
- Communicates in a clear, concise, and understandable manner
- Shares important information proactively and in a timely manner
- Assertively communicates with parties in a tactful, diplomatic, and professional manner
- Gains trust from colleagues by helping to resolve their issues and providing necessary information; recognizes the business concerns and perspectives of others
Effective performers possess a high inner work standard and show pride in their work. They consistently strive to ensure work is complete within deadlines and that all work performed is of a high quality.
- Displays an attention to detail and ensures accuracy in all work
- Is proactive and takes action without being prompted; doesn’t wait to be told what to do or when to do it; has a strong results orientation
- Takes personal accountability for performance and contributions to the team
- Consistently does what is required to ensure that work is completed within established timelines
- Goes beyond simply what is requested to find creative ways to complete a task or add value
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
To learn more about this position and apply, go to careers.bci.ca/res_joblist.html.
BCI provides employees with a productive and fast-paced work environment, competitive compensation, a performance incentive plan, four weeks of vacation, employer-funded health & wellness plans, and a defined benefit pension plan.
Our recruitment process requires that the successful candidate agrees to undergo a criminal record search, education and designation verification; to provide a declaration of no previous or current criminal status; and to comply with our corporate Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct.